I have always displayed charts on my website for Gold, Silver and CAD/USD using widgets from Kitco. However this new widget lets me display a lot more info and the data updates live (the old Kitco widgets had to be refreshed).
The ticker will display Canadian$ / US$, Gold, Silver, Bitcoin, Etherium, Crude Oil and whatever other commodities I decide to add.
In addition, I added a graph further down the page to show trend lines for CAD/USD, USD/CAD and CAD/GBP. You can click to select the currency and the scale. I hope my visitors will find these new widgets useful.
The first is a wedding gift requested by my son Steve for his friends. This was carved using a 60 Degree V-bit on soft maple and then sealed with 4 coats of teak/tung oil.
The graphics of the celtic knots on the corners and the wedding rings were just images downloaded from the interwebs and traced into my CAD software.
The 2nd is a house number sign I made for a friend. This one was a pocket cut with a 1/8 inch endmill in soft maple. I sealed the wood with shellac then painted the numbers and border with acrylic paint. The shellac was applied only to seal the wood to prevent any bleeding of the paint so I sanded it off to get back to the bare wood. Five coats of semi-gloss polyurethane finished it off.
Both projects are approximately 300mm x 165 mm. Both were designed in Carbide Create and carved on my Genmitsu 3018 PROVer.
When I got my CNC machine back in March, I was looking for ideas for projects. Well, it just happens that in late March we have three birthdays in the family: my grandson Lincon, my daughter Sherry and step grand-daughter Zoe.
I decided that this was a great opportunity to make them each something unique and personal. With Lincon being a big Toronto Maple Leafs fan, it seemed logical to design something with the Leafs logo.
I wanted to make something for my daughter Sherry who was studying for her real estate license. I had some nice pieces of poplar for this project.
I found out that Zoe was a bit of a Led Zeppelin fan, so I grabbed some graphics off the interwebs and came up with this design, carved on another piece of poplar.
All three projects were to be filled with epoxy. But first they had to be sealed with a coat of shellac to prevent the colours in the epoxy from bleeding into the wood.
Here’s a look at look at Linc’s project with the blue epoxy poured.
Once the epoxy is hardened, the piece gets sanded down which leaves a nice smooth surface. I start with fairly course sanding on the power sander, then progress to finer and finer grades hand sanding over the epoxied areas with up to 2,000 grit.
I cut a keyhole in the back of Sherry and Zoe’s projects so they could be hung on a wall. I made a stand for Linc’s so he could stand it up.
They all got a couple coats of varnish to add a nice finish.