This is another “retro-post” of a previous project. Last year Wendy wanted a new TV stand for Hanna’s Irish Vacation Farmhouse. We decided to make it from some nice wormy maple that I was able to source locally.
After careful measuring to fit both the available space and the farmhouse’s TV, I came up with a design and started cutting the pieces and began the assembly.
All the joinery was done with pocket joints. It’s a good effective way and provides a strong joint.
I decided to personalize this table by carving “Hanna Farm” into one of the front rails. Before assembly, I put the piece into my Genmitsu 3018 PROVer CNC machine and made the carving with a 90 Degree V-bit.
The top was a beautiful piece of laminated wormy maple and was the single most costly item in the whole table. I mixed up some clear epoxy and filled in the knot holes on the top. It was then given a number of coats of polyurethane. The rest of the pieces got the same polyurethane finish before final assembly.
All in all, this was a very worthwhile project. The wife was happy and that’s the most important thing.
Back in the spring, I made a unique travel bug as a birthday present for my oldest son Stephen. A travel bug is a trackable item that people who geocache pass among themselves and log in and out of geocaches. The Geocaching website records the travels of all registered travel bugs.
I started with a block of maple I had left over from another project. This was going to be a two sided project.
On one side I used my CNC machine to carve the Geocaching logo and Steve’s geocaching name or “handle”. I hand painted the 4 cells of the geocaching logo, then filled everything with clear epoxy. It took a bit of sanding to get the surface smooth but I got it by working my way down to 1600 grit.
Normally, you buy a travel bug tag and attach it to an item. However, in this case I decided to carve the travel bug number into the block of maple. I had an unused travel bug tag so I carved the travel bug image and that number on one side of the block of wood. The cut out area was filled with black epoxy and sanded smooth.
Another block of wood with a groove cut in it made the perfect stand. Everything was finished with a few layers of polyurethane.
Steve has taken his travel bug to numerous geocaching events though out Ontario and it has been logged many times.
When I got my CNC machine back in March, I was looking for ideas for projects. Well, it just happens that in late March we have three birthdays in the family: my grandson Lincon, my daughter Sherry and step grand-daughter Zoe.
I decided that this was a great opportunity to make them each something unique and personal. With Lincon being a big Toronto Maple Leafs fan, it seemed logical to design something with the Leafs logo.
I wanted to make something for my daughter Sherry who was studying for her real estate license. I had some nice pieces of poplar for this project.
I found out that Zoe was a bit of a Led Zeppelin fan, so I grabbed some graphics off the interwebs and came up with this design, carved on another piece of poplar.
All three projects were to be filled with epoxy. But first they had to be sealed with a coat of shellac to prevent the colours in the epoxy from bleeding into the wood.
Here’s a look at look at Linc’s project with the blue epoxy poured.
Once the epoxy is hardened, the piece gets sanded down which leaves a nice smooth surface. I start with fairly course sanding on the power sander, then progress to finer and finer grades hand sanding over the epoxied areas with up to 2,000 grit.
I cut a keyhole in the back of Sherry and Zoe’s projects so they could be hung on a wall. I made a stand for Linc’s so he could stand it up.
They all got a couple coats of varnish to add a nice finish.
In the fall of 2020, I was introduced to Cowboy Action Shooting by a friend who invited me to attend a match at Decew Gun Club. I believed that I was going to just observe the match and learn about the sport. Well, the posse welcomed me with open arms and soon I found myself all geared up and ready to shoot! I shot the whole match and I was hooked!
Any cowboy shooter worth his or her salt has their own cart to haul all their stuff to matches. I had seen a few carts at the match at Decew and researched on the interwebs to learn more. I came up with a design I liked and in December I set out to build my cart.
The cart is constructed mostly of select pine with a piece of oak plywood for the floor. The cart will hold 2 SASS approved shotguns as well as 2 rifles. The storage box is a separate unit and will hold enough ammo for a match as well as my revolvers and their holsters.
The cart itself knocks down into two pieces for easier transport by simply unscrewing the bolts that connect the uprights to the base (by the wheels).
I had fun building it and I learned a few things along the way. If you would like to read a detailed description of the construction of my cart, you can download this PDF file.