The board is laminated maple and the logo was provided by my customer. I traced it into Carbide Create and created two toolpaths for the CNC machine.
The first toolpath was a simple pocket cut with a 1/8 in downcut endmill. I only took it down 0.5 mm. The second cut was an advanced V-carve with a 90 degree V-bit and it went around the outside of the logo cutting to a maximum depth of 1.3 mm. It added a nice edge. Finished with my mineral oil and beeswax mixture. The customer was happy with it and that’s what counts!
This is my tribute to all the truckers who stood up for our rights in the Freedom Convoy 2022.
Carved into a piece of laminated maple 14 inches by 7.5 inches. Pocket cut is about 265mm x 160 mm and was done using a 1/8 inch single flute downcut endmill. The detail cut was done using a 1 mm endmill.
Two coats of polyurethane were applied then the truck detail was painted with a black acrylic while the maple leaf was painted red. After sanding, a couple more coats of poly finished the job.
A friend sent me an image of a charcuterie board someone had made with an image of a menacing looking shark and the words
Shark Coochie Board
Because no one can say char-cu-te-rie
I couldn’t find the same shark image, but I did find one that looked a bit more friendly. I imported the image into Carbide Create then added the text. Next I created toolpaths for a 90 degree V-bit.
I had a nice maple cutting board on hand so I set up my CNC machine and carved it. I think it came out OK, but if I do another one, I will make the carving a bit bigger so that it is at least 80% of the width of the board.
Just as a footnote, this post marks a number of firsts for me. After taking the images above with my phone, I used an FTP app to transfer them wirelessly to my new Raspberry Pi 4B. I then edited them using GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program. And finally, this post was made using the Pi 4B.
Most of our horses have name plates on their stalls which I made using a hand held router not that many years ago. But our donkey, Lucy never had a name plate.
Now that I have a CNC router, it was time for Lucy to have her own stall name plate.
I had some leftover pieces of oak flooring from when we did our kitchen and dining room floor done in December. I came up with a simple design and carved it into a 10 inch long piece using a 1/8 inch flat-nose endmill for the letters and to rough out the graphic image, then a 1.5 mm down cut bit to clean up the outline of the image. All cuts to a depth of 1.5 mm.
Lucy’s nameplate will get three coats of polyurethane before mounting in the barn. Lucy has gone from having no nameplate to having probably the nicest nameplate.
Dash is our Australian Shepherd. He’s 3 1/5 years old but has been with us only since last February when we re-homed him.
To commemorate Dash’s first Christmas with us I made a plaque with his image on it. (OK, it’s an image of an Ozzie that I found on the interwebs). Here are some photos of the project as it progressed.
I started by importing the image into Carbide Create and designing the toolpaths for my CNC machine. I made 2 toolpaths for the head, first a pocket cut with a 1/8 in endmill followed by a contour cut with a 1.4 mm endmill. The groove around was made with a contour cut with a 1/8 in endmill. The letters were made with a 90 degree V-bit.
After sanding, I applied a coat of shellac to seal the wood to prevent bleed-through during the next stage.
I mixed up some clear epoxy and added some black acrylic paint then applied it liberally to the carving, making sure to fill all the spaces as seen above.
When the epoxy had set for 72 hours, I put the work on the sander to remove the excess epoxy and the shellac. Once back to bare wood, I sanded the remaining epoxy with 400, 800 and 1500 grit sandpaper to bring back the smoothness.
I cut a keyhole on the back with my table router and added my logo (not shown) with my CNC machine. I finished it up with a couple coats of polyurethane on the front and one on the back.