Category: Horses

SCMHC Awards

I had the honour to be asked to make some awards for the South Coast Miniature Horse club for their year-end banquet. Here are some of the happy winners.

The award plaques on my CNC

They are made from laminated maple, carved on my Onefinity Woodworker, sealed, painted, sanded and finished with 3 coats of polyurethane. I cut keyholes on the reverse using the CNC as well.


Another new foal in the barn this Saturday. I was on my way to the range shortly after 7AM when Wendy called to tell me about this little fellow. He arrived sometime between 6AM and 7AM.

I snapped the photo below around 6PM after I got home from the club.

Bandido at about 12 hours old

He is uniquely marked and we both agreed that “Bandido” is the correct name for him.

My son Stephen got a few more pictures of Bandido on Sunday when he got outside for the first time.

Strong’s Bandido
Getting some exercise


Sometime in the early hours of May 21st we had a new addition to the barn. Tia Maria had a newborn foal in her stall when Wendy went to the barn at 6 AM. He wasn’t there the night before when I did a barn check at 10 PM. My barn camera didn’t record the event because of a problem wth the memory card so we don’t know the exact time. I did get this photo from the barn camera later.

Wendy with Tia and Jalapeño

He’s a beautiful sorrel colour and we all agreed he’s a match for our “Pepper Boys”, Cayenne Pepper and Red Hot Chili Pepper. So I suggested we call him Jalapeño Pepper.

Jalapeño meets Chili and Cayenne

We got him oustide the very next day and he had a chance to meet the Pepper Boys. He’s gonna fit right in with that crowd.


Building a Bridge

This was a quick little project this week. Wendy wanted me to build her a bridge. Not a bridge in the typical sense, but a bridge for the horses to walk across when doing the obstacle course. This would be our own bridge for practice and rehearsal, but it might also be used at some of the horse shows we go to, so it needs to be somewhat portable.

Framing the bridge

After some discussion, we decided that the bridge would be 32 inches in width by 4 feet in length.

I had some leftover 2×6 which I could use for the frame so the height of the bridge would be about 7 inches – the 2×6 plus the thickness of the boards on top.

I cut the 2×6’s to length and made the frame as shown in the photo. Given that the horses would be walking over this, I wanted it to be good and sturdy, so I used three (3) rails to support the top boards with cross braces in between.

I had to purchase some 5/4 pressure treated deck boards for the top. I cut each of them to 32 inches in length on my table saw.

The frame was assembled and squared up with the help of four corner clamps and two longer clamps. I used 3 inch screws to hold it all together. Two of the pieces of 5/4 inch decking were used for the ends.

After assembling the frame in the shop, we carried it upstairs to the garage before adding the top boards, which would add considerable weight.


The top boards were attached using 1 1/2 inch wood screws. I also drilled a couple of holes in each side rail with a 3/8 inch bit and inserted a 24 inch piece of nylon rope through the holes.

I tied knots in the ends of the ropes and sealed them with a torch. They should last a long time.

The finished bridge is heavy (it needs to be), but 2 people can lift it and carry it with the use of the rope handles on the sides. It should fit in my truck bed if we need to take it to a horse show.

I didn’t add anything else, but there is always the option to add handrails to the sides of the bridge. These would be mostly decorative so I would probably make them so they are easily detachable. PVC pipe would be a good material for this.

All in all, this was a straight-forward project that took only a couple of hours of actual work. It should keep the horses occupied for years to come.