My daughter commissioned another cutting board for one of her real estate clients. This one was made on a different style of maple board.
I grabbed the logo from the client’s website and imported the SVG file into Carbide Create where I sized it to fit the available space and generated some toolpaths.
The board was carved on my Genmitsu 3018 PROVer CNC machine. I mixed up some clear foodsafe epoxy and filled the cut out areas. After the epoxy cured for 72 hours I gave it a sanding, and followed up with a coat of beeswax & mineral oil for a nice finish coat.
On the reverse I carved my daughter’s information. No epoxy on this side, just the beeswax and mineral oil finish.
Sherry says her client was really pleased with the cutting board.
My ADS-B receiver has been working fine on my Raspbery Pi 4B. Using the cheap kit antenna I’m receiving signals from aircraft up to approximately 50 miles, depending on their elevation.
I found a site called ADSB Exchange that collects data from volunteer feeders and aggregates it onto a publicly available map. I was able to establish a connection with their network and I am now feeding ADS-B data to them. So if you view their map, some of the data you see is coming from my ground station.
The above image shows an aircraft I was tracking. It was a Boeing 737-800 out of Toronto YYZ, Flair flight FLE111 as shown on the sidebar.
The jagged lines on the map indicate the range of my reciever. The map expands as planes fly through it and are detected, so it is constantly changing. It’s a nice feature and it tells me I need to relocate my antenna to a better spot. It is presently sitting on the floor just inside the patio door.
When the weather gets a little nicer, I will try to locate my antenna outdoors. I may also try to build a home-made antenna for better reception. There’s lots of instructional videos on line.
After my initial setup, I was unable to establish a feeder connection with FlightAware, so I’m not contributing data to their network.
I have been snapping photos of aircraft that fly close by. This morning I saw a helicopter heading our way and got this pic just as it flew over the house.
Carved today from two pieces of leftover tongue & groove oak flooring that I glued together. Pocket carve with a 1/8 inch 1-flute downcut bit. A 1.5 mm downcut bit was used to pocket cut the words outside of the maple leaf and to contour cut the outside of the word “Canada”.
All cuts to 1 mm depth on my Genmitsu 3018 PROVer, designed in Carbide Create. This was a prototype and if I make any more, I will probably a little deeper as I was just barely getting through the top layer of wood.
ADS-B is a signal that commercial aircraft transmit that indicates their speed, position and heading, among other things.
To receive it you need an RTL-SDR receiver and some decoding software. I recently bought at dongle from NooElec, the NESDR SMArtee. One end plugs into a USB port on the computer and the other end attaches to an antenna.
It came in a bundle with some cheap antennas for listening to broadcast radio as well as one that’s tuned to 1090 Mhz where the ADS-B broadcasts are located.
I installed software called dump1090 on my RPi 4B which decodes the signals from the aircraft and plots them on a map (see below). Pretty cool.
I also installed PiAware which connects to the FlightAware website and transmits the data received to them, which they use to track aircraft all over the world and display on their website. In exchange for feeding them data FlightAware offers a free premium subscription.
I had a problem with the PiAware installation and I don’t have it working properly yet, so I’m not able to connect to FlightAware. But I have noticed that my data is more up to date than what is displayed on the FlightAware website.
But you can see from the screen capture below that I am getting some good data from the aircraft in the area. We live in a busy air traffic area, so this should be interesting.
Raspberry Pi’s new 64 bit operating system (OS) was released about a week ago. Today, I decided to upgrade my RPi 4B to the new 64 bit OS.
While the RPi 4B is a 64 bit machine, the previous version of Pi OS was 32 bit. I was having some issues with my 4B occasionally freezing up, especially when surfing the web with the Chromium browser. I installed Firefox-esr to see if it worked any better, but it was only available in ver. 78 and some sites didn’t render properly, notably Amazon.ca
After installing the new 64 bit Pi OS, I noticed a significant improvement. Performance wise, the RPi seems a bit faster, but most importantly the freeze-ups are non existent!
And I was able to install an up-to-date version of Firefox. Web browsing is greatly improved.
I will continue testing, but I think I’m going to be happy this version.
One of the reasons, I bought the RPi 4B was to try different Llinux distributions, known as “distros”. I will give some of the other 64 bit distros a try and I’ll post about the ones I like or don’t like.
The board is laminated maple and the logo was provided by my customer. I traced it into Carbide Create and created two toolpaths for the CNC machine.
The first toolpath was a simple pocket cut with a 1/8 in downcut endmill. I only took it down 0.5 mm. The second cut was an advanced V-carve with a 90 degree V-bit and it went around the outside of the logo cutting to a maximum depth of 1.3 mm. It added a nice edge. Finished with my mineral oil and beeswax mixture. The customer was happy with it and that’s what counts!